Wednesday, April 09, 2008
Autism Awareness Month
Most people that know me know my 5yr old son was diagnosed with autism when he was 2yrs old. He has improved so much over the years but we still have alot of work to do to get him where he should be to have a productive and fulfilling life. April is National Autism Awareness Month so I'd like to share with you some facts regarding Autism.
Autism is a complex neurological disorder. It effects an individuals behavior, language skills, social skills, and sensory processing system. It's causes are still a mystery to doctors and researchers.
Recent stats show...
* 1 in 94 children in New Jersey has been diagnosed with Autism.
* Autism is the fastest growing developmental disability.
* Autism is four times more prevalent in boys than girls in the US
* More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes, and cancer combined
* There has been a 172% increase in Autism in the U.S. in the last decade
* It costs America $90 Million a year to take care of Autistic Individuals needs
* The divorce rate for families with an Autistic child is 80%
* Autism has been on the map since 1943
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Placing autism in the same sentance as cancer, AIDS, and diabetes demonstrates there's still a lot of education about disability being natural to be done. Autism is NOT a disease!ReplyDelete
Sir, there is nothing "natural" about autism. There are studies to proove that their are outside triggers that cause it. The fact doesn't change that more children will be diagnosed with Autism than any of the three diseases I listed. I don't intend to diminish the effect that the big three put on children and families, and I hope you don't mean to do that to Autism.ReplyDelete